Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Twitter and GoogleDocs


I must admit to being a little complacent with my tweeting and blogging of late. It’s not all my own doing, we encountered a little Media Imposed inquiry over the weekend as the excitement of a new iTV was very quickly replaced with the feelings of loss and confusion as our Internet was taken down. For three days we were without contact – my husband and I were left with little else to do than go for a walk!

As the new router box was delivered, three days later, needless to say we were all ecstatic and I was inspired. After reading @ ‘s post recently in edtech.ch I prepared myself for some Google data. Recognising I am not as popular on twitter as @ I decided to prepare my lesson a few hours earlier (the night before in-fact – hoping to hit time zones). On awaking I was overwhelmed with such a positive response. Oh; the powers of Twitter. I already was excited by the ways and benefits of a Twitter PLN, but now I think I’ve become evangelical. I skipped into work this morning with 98 responses to the survey and my smile a mile wide.

As I explained my process to the kids, I asked them to think about the types of questions they might like to ask people from all over the world – if they could – the realisation was extraordinary. I watched their eyes pop and their jaws drop as they truly began to realise where the data was coming from. They were inspired to create their own surveys – coming soon. They will be blogging tomorrow about their thoughts and ideas.

Thank you to all who contributed to their inspiration. Without you their lesson would have been just another collection of ‘favourites’. As I work with the children I realise that they have a preconceived notion of data as something relating to favourites, my challenge is to help them shift their understanding into the real world. Help them to realise and begin to understand how understanding and analysing of data can help to develop and build deeper understanding of concepts.

I’ll keep you posted, but in the mean time, how do you help your kids make the connections between collecting data to foster deeper understanding of a concept, rather than simply understanding what people like, don’t like or when their birthday may be?








No comments:

Post a Comment